Home Embassy Info Embassy Events Bilateral Relations Consular Services Economy & Trade Culture & Education & Science Ambassador Bai Tian
2019/2020 Chinese Government Scholarship is Now Open for Application

Application for the 2019/2020 Chinese Government Scholarship is now open for Malaysians. Online application and the corresponding application documents should be submitted to Cultural Office, Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia no later than March 22nd, 2019.


I. Scholarship Introduction:


-10 Places for general/senior scholar programs;


*The 50 places for general or senior scholar/undergraduate/master/doctoral programs only last for 3 year since 2016/2017. It is raised during the 18th ASEAN-China summit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nov. 21, 2015, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang made a commitment that China will increase the number of government scholarships for ASEAN countries by 1,000 on the basis of existing scholarships in the next three years. Thus, China offers 50 newly-added scholarships for Malaysia since 2016. This 50 places more will not be offered for 2019/2020.


II. Eligibility:


To be eligible, applicants must


-be a citizen of a country other than the P. R. China, and be in good health.


-be under the age of 45 and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study when applying for general scholar programs;


-be a master's degree holder or an associate professor (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for senior scholar programs.


III. Application Documents (one set):

Applicant need to submit one set of documents in the order as:


1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (online application).

Only English or Chinese are accepted for the online application. The Application Form will be created automatically after the correct filling. The link is http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or www.campuschina.org and agency number (Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia) is 4581. Instructions of the online application is in the attachment.


2. Notarized highest diploma (photocopy):

Prospective diploma winners must submit official proof of student status by their current school. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.

*Please go to "Notary Public" or "Commissioner for Oaths" for notarization.


3. Academic transcripts:

The academic transcript should have the seal and signature of school. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.


4. A study plan or research proposal in Chinese or English:

500 words for general or senior scholar programs applicants.


5. Recommendation letters in Chinese or English:

Applicants for general scholar programs must submit at least one recommendation letter; Applicants for senior scholar programs must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors.


6. Foreigner physical examination form (photocopy):

Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English. The examination only valids for 6 months. (See Q&A 6).


7. Language ability certificate

Applicants with valid HSK Certificate (two-year validity), which is not mandatory, should enclose it in the application package (See Q&A 3). Applicants with valid IELTS or TOEFL Certificate (two-year validity), which is not mandatory, should enclose it in the application package.


8. Pre-admission letter

Applicants with Admission Letter from designated universities, which is not mandatory, can be enclosed in the application package. (See Q&A 4). 


9. Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of their own works. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit a CD of their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.


10. Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.



NOTE: The above documents should be bound on top left corner (one set). No application documents will be returned. The incomplete application document will neither be evaluated, nor be accepted.


IV. Time frames:


January to March 22nd 2019 Applicants submit their online application (our Agency Number is 4581), contact and apply for their favorite Chinese universities, and mail all paper documents (one set) to Cultural Office, Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia, 229 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur(delivery in person will not be accepted). Please mark "Chinese Government Scholarship Application" on the envelope. Please make sure that the paper documents can be delivered to Cultural Office before March 22nd.


March 23rd to April 12th 2019 The embassy review application documents.


April 13th to April 30th 2018 The embassy sends all recommended applications to China Scholarship Council for final review.


May 1st to July 31th 2018 China Scholarship Council confirm the candidates' application and send admission letters to the Embassy. Scholarship winners will get Email notice to get the admission letter and JW201 visa form at the Embassy and prepare for studying in China.


V. Contact

Email : edu_malaysia@sina.com

Please read the instructions and Q&As carefully. Questions already being answered will not be replied.


VI. Q&As

1. Q: What are the categories and coverage of Chinese Government Scholarships?

A: Please refer to http://www.campuschina.org/scholarships/index.html?k=Chinese%20Government%20Scholarships for the introduction of Chinese Government Scholarships.

Please note that Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia is only responsible for the recommendation of "Bilateral Program" scholarship and the agency number for online application in 4581. Application for other scholarships goes to other receiving agencies.


2. Q: Which Chinese universities are under the Chinese Government Scholarship programs?

A total of 279 Chinese universities are designated by MOE to accept Chinese Government Scholarship students from which you can choose your target university. You can go to http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org for programs and universities available.


3. Q: Do I have to register for Chinese-taught programs?

If you are genral or senior scholar programs student, you can register for either the Chinese-taught program or the English-taught program if applicable. You can check Program Search (By visiting http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org) to find your interested program. Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take Chinese language training courses for one academic year to reach the language requirements of their host universities before moving on to major studies. Failure to reach the required language proficiency will lead to the termination of scholarship. Recipients in programs such as Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Medicine (Western Medicine), Economics, Management, Legal Studies, Fine arts Literature, History, Philosophy and Chinese Medicine and other courses will take Chinese language courses for one academic year. If an applicant provides HSK Certificate (level 5 and above) or a confirmation letter from secondary schools (Malaysia Independent Chinese Secondary Schools) stating that the teaching language for the applicant is CHINESE in high school, once received the scholarship, he or she can start the undergraduate program directly without one-year preparatory Chinese course. Scholarship students of the English-taught program or with adequate Chinese language proficiency (with valid HSK certificate) do not need to take Chinese language training courses.



4. Q: Can I apply for Chinese Government Scholarship without Admission/Pre-Admission Letters?

A: Admission/Pre-admission letter is not mandatory. The Embassy will first recommend applicants who provided admission/pre-admission letter.   


5. Q: Does the Letter of Acceptance or email from the supervisor equal to the Pre-admission Letter?

A: No. Only the pre-admission Letters (or Admission Letters) issued by the admissions office of designated Chinese universities are considered valid. Other files like acceptance letters from potential supervisors or emails from supervisors or professors shall not be regarded as the equivalent or substitute.


6. Q: Is the Foreigner Physical Examination Form a necessary document?

A: Yes. Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (The original copy should be kept by the applicant). The form designed by the Chinese quarantine authority can be downloaded from the attachment. We do not have designated physical examination so please consult the hospitals for their qualification.

The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.

Applicants with Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People's Republic of China should also submit valid Foreigner Physical Examination Form.


7. Q: Can I apply for more than one scholarship program?

A: Yes, but each scholarship recipient can be granted with no more than one scholarship.


8. Q: Can Malaysian students who are now studying in China apply for "general/senior scholar programs"?

A: Yes. Please prepare all the required documents and mail to the China Embassy in Malaysia. A valid Foreigner Physical Examination Form is also needed. If an applicant is already under a scholarship but wins the general/senior scholar programs scholarship, the former scholarship will be terminated and the Chinese Government Scholarship starts at the following semester.


9. Q: How can I know the admission result?

A: After checking all the eligible application documents, the China Embassy in Malaysia will send the recommended documents to China Scholarship Council for final review. The admission result letter will be sent by China Scholarship Council and scholarship winners will be noticed by email to come to the Embassy to get the necessary files in late July.



Suggest to a Friend